As a single in college, I enjoyed this day as well, though we called it “Singles Awareness Day.”We would get together as a group of singles and not think of all our friends who were out on dates. We still had a great time.
Legend has it that Valentine was a Pastor in Terni who was martyred by the Romans on February 14th of 197 AD. Catholicism does not officially recognize Valentine as a saint. And rightly so. What we think of as Catholicism was not even in any Christian’s mind.
Here are just a few examples:
- Prayers for the dead – 300 AD
- The term Pope first used – at the earliest 304 AD (though more likely 523 AD)
- Veneration of angels & dead saints – 375 A.D.
- Beginning of the exaltation of Mary; the term, “Mother of God” applied at Council of Ephesus – 431 AD.
- Doctrine of Purgatory (Gregory I) – 593 AD
- Worship of cross, images & relics – 786 AD
- Canonization of dead saints – 995 AD
- Celibacy of priesthood – 1079 AD
- The Rosary – 1090 AD
- Indulgences – 1190 AD
- Transubstantiation (Innocent III) – 1215 AD
- Confession of sins to a priest – 1215 AD
- Adoration of the wafer (Host) – 1220 AD
- Cup forbidden to the people at communion – 1414 AD
- Tradition declared of equal authority with Bible by Council of Trent – 1545 AD
AND NOW FOR THE MAIN REASON WE WRITE:
Pray for our Valentines Banquet Outreach Tonight
Tonight we have a unique opportunity through our Valentine’s Banquet organized by our singles to reach out to many couples with the Gospel.
- They will be serving an elegant dinner.
- Melodee and I, along with Jeremy (my brother) will be playing.
- There will be a gospel presentation by Bill and Maria Teresa Standridge, veteran missionaries to Italy.
- Please pray for the unbelievers that will come.
- Pray for the couples that bring them, for the follow-up they will have after the event.
Please take a moment now to pray.
Please share this request with your praying friends.
Please let us know you are praying.